June 23, 2011

Where I Am Now

Here it is 2011. I am soon to be 57 and I find myself in a small....very small space of about 600 sq.ft. I know to the world looking in.....we must seem crazy, but in our quest for as much simplicity and freedom as one can have in this life, this is where we have landed.

I have no desire to live in a big house or own a new vehicle. It is the hunger for THINGS in our life that kept us like prisoners. We labored every day to maintain our American dream.....owning our home, driving nice vehicles.....keeping up with the Jones's, as they say.

I had no clue that there was any other way. It had been instilled in me since birth. I watched my Mother work every day of her short life. I think....if she could do it all over again would she do it differently? As I grow older and I see my life speeding by, like a runaway train, I know, with crystal clear certainty, that is NOT what I want. Unfortunately, we are not independently wealthy and we've not been avid savers, so we still rely on work, for now.

This little, 1 bedroom, green house holds, not only our last few pocessions, but the promise of the freedom we seek. As I see the rest of the world still laboring towards their dreams of things, I wonder WHY? In the end, when we are moments from closing our eyes for the last time, will it be a house or a car or any other THING our minds will be filled with or will it be the memories of a life that you chose to fill with all the love and adventure you could. We come into this world with nothing and leave it the same way, so why do we choose to carry that heavy load of things through out our lives?

No comments: