May 2, 2008

35 Year Celebration


I have big plans brewing for this WHOLE weekend. Wayne and I will be married 35 YEARS come Monday....yep, May 5 back in good old 1973, we stood before a preacher and exchanged vows. The day started out Sunny and warm, but by the time the I do's were made and cake had been ate, it was coming a storm. Torrential rains fell just as we are trying to hop in our ride and make our way into our new life. Little did either one of us know that 35 years later, we would still be together. A lifetime of working, raising kids and all the other monotonous moments that filled our lives have flown by, in a blink of an eye.


Now, as we settle into our midlife years and actually have the time to enjoy each other, I know, I wouldn't have changed a thing. Getting married straight out of High school is NOT something I would recommend, but in having done so, we now.....FINALLY, can enjoy the freedoms that having grown kids, at fairly young ages has brought to us. This freedom has been a LONG time in coming and we have earned every moment we spend doing exactly what we want to. Being young parents had it's advantages and I'm sure some downfalls on the parenting scales, but we were always right there with our kids and loved each moment spent with them....and still do.

It is really hard to wrap my brain around 35 YEARS....I just can't believe THAT much time has gone by. I think a celebration of this magnitude warrants a WHOLE weekend....don't you? I see lots of out to eats and maybe some playing at Winstar, maybe, a romantic rendezvous at some nice hotel.....ok, I know I am dreaming. I AM married to the MOST UNromantic man, well maybe, the second most. His Dad, I think wins the gold star in UNromantic, but the nut didn't fall far from the tree. I am going to try my best to make it a joyful weekend for the both of us and I must say, in his older years he is at least TRYING to be more romantic, I guess I can't ask for more than that. Till next time.

No comments: