August 3, 2007

A Long Journey


I have to take a few minutes this morning to tell you how ELATED I am. My heart is so touched by my little grandson Kannon. All of you who knows the story of P. only knows one portion of it. This family's whole dynamic changed when the adoption of that little girl first started. The changes were countless as the process drew on and when she finally was here none of us knew or could have guessed what her presence would do to our little Kannon. He was the happiest baby.....always having a big smile on his face, but thru no fault of her own, P. had a very adverse affect on him. He became so unhappy and unable to be comforted. There was nothing in his little life that brought him satisfaction.........it was almost like he had started mirroring P.'s personality and disposition. When I walked in their house, I was always met by the other boys, for hugs and hello's, P. even learned to be glad to see me, by watching the other boys, but poor little Kan kept getting more distant by the day. Now, you have to keep in mind that he and I had a very close relationship at the start of the adoption, He stayed with me thru the long and distant trips Trace and RB had to make. I can't really say when the changes first started to appear, but I can tell you that it has taken all these months, I think it has been around 8 for that little guy to come back to us......back to me. He actually cried to come home with me yesterday.....I thought it was just a fluke and he would change his mind long before we even made it to the car, but he was quite content all the way to my house. He fell asleep on our way home.....I just knew when I had to get him out of the car he was gonna wake up and cry to go home.....well, he did stir a little, but I told him we were at Granny's house and he laid his head down on my shoulder and we went in and I laid him on the bed, laying beside him for just a minute and he went back to sleep. Now, all of that was a pure miracle, but the most unbelievable part is, first he didn't cry for his Mama when he woke up, he just immediately started in playing, but when RB came to pick him up after work and he didn't want to go home.....I could not believe it. We determined that he would probably change his mind sometime before bedtime.......well, it didn't happen. He was a happy little lark and never mentioned home or Mom. That's what I am use to, all of my grandsons feel very comfortable at my house and all always want to spend the night with me. Now, FINALLY Kan is amongst them. Adoption is a wonderful thing and can enrich the lives of many people, but we have learned that there are other stories out there.....things people don't want to talk about, the effect one little person can have on a family. I am so sadden by the final outcome of the adoption of P., but you can't sacrifice one child for another. To have our Kan back means more than can be expressed in words. He has just walked in....with a big smile on his face. What could be better than that? Till next time.

No comments: