January 8, 2008

Old Age And Deep Thoughts


I am going thru this aching hips, shoulders,and legs syndrome at night. I am continuously waking up to pain that only my constant turning relieves. I always start blaming our mattress for my discomfort, but alas, I think it be just me and my old body reminding me that I am getting older. I can take a pain reliever and it does seem to help, but this is not something I choose to do on a daily basis, so hence, I suffer.
I did some yoga this morning.....first time since before the holidays. I hate that I let so much time go by with no exercise except for an occasional walk. I can definitely tell the difference in the way I feel when I slack off on my exercising......heck, that may be one of my sleeping problems. Those old muscles and bones get all stove up and then tell me about it at night. I too, am having several bouts of hot flashes thru the night. My diet, went to the wayside while doing all the celebrating over the holidays. I am trying to get back to some kind of normalcy......get rid of all that left behind sweets and heavy foods. I think I am gonna try cutting out a BIG portion of the pasta dishes I love so much. I am gonna try the protein route....eating mainly lean meats and veggies. I think I am even going to try to eat more raw veggies, of course, pesticide free.
My thoughts are kinda all over the place this morning. I read The Boomer Chronicles and I find it quite perplexing that I am so out of the norm. All the Boomers talk of their moving away from parents and in doing so, grew up. My family's dynamics seem so completely different than most. Now, you know I was basically raised by a single parent, which I'm sure had something to do with the way I see the world and interact with others. I have always felt that the outside world views the closeness of my relationships with my children, somewhat weird. I got that wanting of always being a part of my children's lives from my Mother. She stayed engaged in our lives till her death and we were the better for it. There were times, when I was a young wife and Mother that I felt she hung on too much. I wished a more self gratifying life for her, apart from us kids. I try to keep myself in check on this point with my own children, trying to make sure they have the space they need as adults living their own lives. It was harder for my Mom because she was always alone. She truly lived vicariously thru her children. I wouldn't want to hinder my kids in any way or take away from their independence. My part is to simply be there for them and enjoy them as the wonderful adults they have become. I know the true love of a friend is scarce. To find friendship in my own family members is the best relationship I can think of. No one loves you like your family does. They will be there till the end......at least that's true in my case. Till next time.

No comments: