November 27, 2007

Good Will To Men

Oh that Trace!!!! What A nut.....I don't know where she gets it???? Her story of trying to strike up a conversation with a stranger, puts me in mind of a Christmas several years ago. Trace and I were at the local Walmart, waiting just inside the door for a basket. The place was covered over with people....no baskets to be had. We wait patiently, till finally someone comes pushing one into the basket return.....well, before I could grab it, a woman, not standing there waiting, came walking up, snatched that basket and gave us the old, go to hell look. I was totally mortified and appalled and said......WELL, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!! She never even looked back, so much for the Christmas spirit and good will to men. People are becoming less and less considerate of others.....hence, road rage and all the other moments of rage we experience in our lives. No one cares about any one else......all out for NUMBER ONE. This impoliteness knows no age. It shows up in the elderly all the way down to our youth in this country. I come from a generation where men would hold a door open for a lady.....not anymore, I have had young guys let me open the door for them, they walk in, never saying thank you or anything. I just don't get it. What happened to manners, simple politeness? That is totally becoming the downfall of this country. It is an anomaly these days to find anyone who has a smile and a greeting for you......even those that work with the public and are suppose to be friendly. We are consumed in our need and greed for the perfect present, for that undeserving person, setting aside all thoughts of consideration or compassion for the other billion shoppers out there on the same mission. It's sad, people.....very sad. With Christmas looming over us, I dare say, this is just the beginning of the encounters with disgruntled people. I, for one am going to try and be polite and use the manners, my Mother taught me. I will smile and say hello even tho, I know most of my greetings will go unnoticed and unappreciated. It's really how you feel in your heart that counts and maybe, just maybe, what I put out there will come back to me........I'm going to give it a try and will report back my findings after the holidays. Till next time.

No comments: