May 11, 2007

The Dentist


We were off to Wayne's dentist appointment which was at 1:00, by 12:15. Naturally we arrived waaayyyy to early. The office was closed for lunch and the door wasn't unlocked until 1:00. We sat outside on a bench until then. The first thing they hand him is a paper they want him to sign. This paper reads.....that they will not be responsible if said treatment doesn't prove effective or if said patient isn't totally satisfied with the outcome. further more if that treatment doesn't work WE would be responsible for any additional work that it reguired. Now, I know it has been many years since either of us had any major work done, but we NEVER had to sign something saying our dentist has no obligation in satisfying us or that he wasn't going to stand behind his work. I am fully aware that if additonal work is needed we would have to pay for such services, but I don't get the WE DON"T CARE IF YOUR HAPPY OR NOT........PAY US!!!! and GET OUT!!! Now, last week when Wayne needed a dentist I simply picked an office that is right here by us, but they had no appointments and sent us to a sister office further away. Wayne went to his first visit straight form work so I wasn't with him. Well, he called me saying they were wanting to do a root canal RIGHT THEN and wanted payment RIGHT THEN, I told him we were going to have to transfer some money and it would take a few days and so there was no way he could do it right then. This puzzled me cause I have never seen ANY dentist take xrays, do a preliminary exam and the procedure all on the same day. They usually reschedule you for the actual work. Anyway, it all just seemed weird to me. I was scared for him to have that major of work done by a dentist we knew nothing about. This goes back to living in a place for so many years and going to the same Dr's for all those years......it makes it hard to trust someone new. I loved our dentist there and all of our Dr's. I have been to a couple of Dr's here but none have lived up to my expectations. I either don't like their bedside manner or they are just pill pushers, which I absolutely hate. They don't want to hear what you have to say and even act insulted if you question anything they say. I keep saying that I want to find Dr's that we like here so we can get reestablished, but I swear, I never thought it would be so difficult. Ok, going back to Wayne, well,he was taken back about 1:30 and he was back there until 4:30....yep, I thought they had disposed of him or something. They called me back around 3:30 to let me know it was going to be at least another 30 to 45 minutes. I said....Good Grief! She said that the Dr. was just taking his time. I had this vision in my head of Wayne laying back there, mouth forced open, and him withering in pain. I was so ready to hear of the horrible, agonizing event and just knew his face was going to be swollen and he would have this, deer in headlights, look on his face. Well, the door opened and there he stood with a big smile on his face and I could hear him saying (That was the best experience I have ever had at a dentists). You could have picked me up off the floor. So, after all the dreading and thinking and worrying, it all turned out just fine. I found out that some of the time spent was them trying to get his blood pressure down before they could even get started. He still has to go back to have his permanent crown put on, but I guess that won't be any big deal. Finally, a HAPPY ENDING!!!

No comments: