December 4, 2007

Foods And Our Health

We got a lot of running around done yesterday. We went to the Post Office, Denton Paper, Bank, Walmart.....again, and lastly Sprout's. Hey Doll, do ya'll have a Sprout's in Plano? It is really a great store to get home grown vegetables with no pesticides or any foreign stuff put on them ........finally, vegetables and fruits that taste like the ones I remember as a girl. Yesterday they had sweet yellow onions and an array of other things. This is the store that Trace gets all her organic stuff.....now, I haven't totally switched to all their products........couldn't afford to, but I do enjoy the fruits and vegetables I get there. I don't know why, we Americans put up with our vegetables and fruits having poison put on them and why we allow our meats to be filled with hormones and injected with red dye to make it look fresh when in reality, it isn't. Do we really think we are eating healthy when we are consuming all those additives. Sprout's even has a meat market.....fresh.....really fresh hamburger meat and some very delectable looking kabobs already for the grill, huge stuffed pork chops that can just be put in the oven for a quick and easy meal by throwing a few veggy's around them. I have found the prices on their meats to be very reasonable. I will also say that some of the brands they carry can be found at Wally's.....like Kashi and some others that are totally organic with no preservatives and such. The one thing I had to get use to was preparing what I bought there quicker than the things from the other
stores because without the preservatives things don't last FOREVER like what we are use to. Remember the potato cellar or having to keep things in the fridge to make them last longer.....well, that was good ole FRESH food. We have forgotten about fresh and how good it taste. We want to stock food like we are going to go into hibernation for a year or so......What's up with that????? I don't get it. I know, back in the 80's, I too was enamored with Sam's and loved the idea of going and buying enormous quantities of stuff, that first of all, I didn't have the room to store it all.....I mean, my house isn't set up like a grocery store and second of all, we tired of whatever food I had bought in abundance and usually it turned out to be a waste cause we didn't eat it, it was thrown away. I tired of that scenario very quickly......heck, just carrying in all that was like unloading a semi at a grocery store....who needs that? My sweet Aunt Jo is a die hard, go to the store every day, shopper and I guarantee her meals are as fresh as a meal from a major grocery store can be. She still lives by the old ways. Food should be consumed in a timely matter.....something that has sat on a shelf for months or even years should be tossed out....it was bad enough for us when we first bought it, I can just imagine what the months has done to break down all the foreign ingredients added to these to make us think they are still editable. I tell you, it is a conspiracy! If they can't get us to kill ourselves with their over medicating pills then they will just let us eat ourselves to death.....slowly, being poisoned with their additives. Why, we think our government is looking out for us on these matters is beyond me.....it all goes back to the old mighty dollar. If they can get more meat off of a cow that has been injected with hormones, then that's exactly what their gonna do......who cares what all those hormones do to us. I wonder, is there a study going on, on that?????, or are they still trying to find out what cow burbs do to the environment? We are the walking, talking guinea pigs of all these new money making techniques they have come up with.......no wonder we all suffer from some pretty strange things these days....aches and pains that seem to have no origin, women who cannot get pregnant, our lack of the ability to handle stress.....I think they may all have something in common........what we put in our mouths! Don't you find it ironic that with all the new ailments of today, magically there is a PILL to take for it. Tho, I have not cut out buying preservative loaded foods, I am trying to eat as many fresh foods as I can and I know that to really rid my diet of these poisons I would have to cut out going out to eat......I'm not ready to ban that as yet......but I do wish everyone from our grocers to our restaurants would demand FRESH foods, not tainted with pesticides or preservatives.....that would be the real way to help the American people stay healthier. Maybe, it is all these additives that other countries don't have that make them leaner and healthier than us. Think about it people. Till next time.

No comments: