December 20, 2007

Texas Weather


How great is this weather??? Wow! people, you that weren't lucky enough to be born or transplanted in Texas have no idea how wonderful the weather can be. We do dream of snow for Christmas and usually don't get any, but the beautiful sunny crisp days well make up for it. I always think that a white Christmas would be just perfect, not thinking of all the turmoil that comes with it. I dare say we Texans have no clue how to drive on ice or snow covered roads.....heck, from what I have experienced most are having a hard time with their driving skills on dry roads. I am one that craves sunshine.....dark gloomy days can get me down in a hurry. Trace was just telling me yesterday, that Texans are amongst the lowest numbers experiencing depression. I truly believe our weather has a big influence on that. The one big draw back on all this nice weather is NO SCHOOL or JOB CLOSINGS. I think we all need a break, a reprieve from the day in day out drudgery. I can remember sitting in front of the TV as a child waiting to hear if my school was gonna close due to bad weather. It always seemed like my school was the last one to call in to say they would be closed, so us kids still had to get up, get dressed and sit and wait. I am really gonna date myself, but I can remember the first time I could wear pants to school.....yes PANTS people. Little girls wore dresses and boys wore pants, now when the temperature went below freezing they would permit us little girls to wear pants, now get this....I didn't even own any pants, jeans or whatever so I had to put on a pair of my brothers. OH MY GOSH!!!!! I loved them! My little legs warm and covered and just the comfort that wearing pants had over a dress. I can't remember exactly what grade I was in....maybe the fourth, sometime in the early 60's....and I can't remember when exactly the dress code changed and girls were allowed to wear pants just like the boys, but I know it was a time of celebration for us girls. Gosh, how times have changed. Well, anyhow, I do love my Texas and all it's crazy weather, be it 80 degree temps in the winter or snow falling in the spring. You can always count on NOT being able to count on our forecast. It's any ones guess what the weather is gonna be from one day to the next. A great big ole Texas, Howdy and take care.....till next time.

1 comment:

Rhea said...

I was in Fort Worth the last weekend of November and we had 75-degree weather one of the days I was there! Nice, compared to snowy old Boston.